There is great wisdom to be found from those who are ahead of you in a journey. (Pastor David always says there is someone a few steps ahead of you to be learned from and someone a few steps behind that you should be mentoring.) Dan, Tim and I had the pleasure of having dinner with two families that have adopted from Ukraine last night. (Thanks, John & Laurie for hosting!) We enjoyed our discussions with them and learned a lot.
On the topic of wisdom, I just have to share the quote below with you... this mom very eloquently sums up what I've been thinking, feeling, and trying to do. It is from her blog: www.welcomingkatya.com.
Bill has often said that we have been called to pursue adoption, not make it happen. While I’ve agreed with this idea in theory, I’ve had trouble relinquishing control. If I can’t make something happen, then I’ll over-research something to gain as much information as I can in order to give myself some false sense of control. I’m learning, but obviously still have much to learn, about truly trusting God with the outcome. Another mom who adopted two kids from Russia many years ago, said to me last Saturday, “God doesn’t call us to be successful. He calls us to be faithful.” Two different ways of saying the same thing. Pray that my heart will get these truths more deeply and that during this time of waiting I’ll be faithful.
I so often feel that exact way, about much of life, not just adoption and could not have expressed the feelings better myself. Special thanks to Cindy for sharing... she and Bill leave on October 1 for their appointment in Kiev on October 5th. Please keep them in your prayers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, they hit the nail on the head, didn't they?? We are just starting our homestudy and I have all those same feelings - I want to MAKE it happen. Thanks for posting this, its good to know that I am not the only one feeling this way!!
ReplyDelete