The Lord says, "I will make you wise and show you where to go. I will guide you and watch over you."
-Psalm 32:8
Monday, October 19, 2009
The dossier has landed
What else is there to say? :-) I just got a note from our translator... he has all our paperwork and is working on the final preparations to submit it to the SDA next Tuesday.
When I started this blog we were a family of three (plus one fluffy dog) living happily in Orlando, Florida. We were eager to see what (or who) God had in store for us as we traveled this journey to adoption.
The statistics
In post-soviet Ukraine, there are approximately 100,000 children currently living in state-run orphanages with an estimated 100,000 more living on the streets or in private facilities. Less than 5% of the children orphaned at 5 years of age or older will ever be adopted. After the children complete the 9th grade, the state mandates that they leave the orphanage. Naive and alone, facing societal prejudice without a family for support and with few employment opportunities, these teens face a bleak future. Within 2 years:
Only 27% will find work
30% will become addicted to drugs
60% of the girls will become prostitutes
70% of the boys will turn to crime
Statistics courtesy of our friends at Heart for Orphans.
Visit their websitehttp://www.heartfororphans.com/to learn more about how they are making a difference and how you can help!
No comments:
Post a Comment