We left earlier for the orphanage today so that we wouldn’t have to be concerned about coming home after dark. When we arrived, the children were all enjoying their vast collection of candies, cookies and roll-on deodorant that St. Nicholas brought them last night. The caretaker told the girls to take us out of the playroom where everyone was gathered to play in their room today. (They’re still in the new, warmer room. It looked like its windows had been replaced with new weather-resistant windows.) V, of course, wanted to play Uno. We did that for a while, but just before lunch she told Nastiya that she wanted to learn the English alphabet. (I think I held in my excitement, but you know the teacher in me was squealing!) When they came back from lunch Dan played Uno with Nastiya and V’s roommates while she and I looked at the alphabet and an “Easy English” book we picked up here. It’s actually pretty well designed with not only the Russian and English words but the phonetic spellings (in Cyrillic) as well. We left around 3 and faithful Sasha was waiting for us in the car… holding his windshield wipers. I wouldn’t have thought of it, but they do work better when not frozen.
We expect we’re in for the night… yup, it’s only 4:00. No real need to explore town with the current weather…
Wow, Kathi!Just got all caught up on your blog, and am so excited for ya'll!!! Love all your details and descriptions. Fascinating reading. I have a friend in my church who has adopted two Ukrainian children, though I didn't know her well when she did, so am not familiar with their story. I'm praying for you, and for V. Can't wait to hear her new name. :) May God continue to be with you and clearly direct! Stay warm!
ReplyDelete